Hopefully reading yesterday's story about "Jill" helped give a picture of codependency. It is amazing how easy it is to fall into the codependency trap. Below are some characteristics of codependency:
- low self-esteem
- feeling insecure (second guessing yourself)
- dependency (emotionally needing others to give you praise to feel worthwhile or confident)
- your emotions are chameleon (shifting with your environment)
- having problems setting boundaries
- being other-centered (being a caretaker and fixer and not generally taking care of yourself)
- try too hard to make others happy
- too passive/problems saying what you mean
- avoiding conflict and sweeping issues under the rug
- giving your control to others
If you're beginning to see yourself in these characteristics, please keep reading our blog for more information on Codependency throughout the week!
Written by: Tamara Portee MA, LMHC. LCAC
Tamara is a licensed therapist at Imagine Hope Counseling Group. Tamara enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, couples and relationship counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area, including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Zionsville, and Westfield.