Narcissistic people are those who come across as selfish, mean and make the world all about them. This week we're talking about the patterns that these type of people tend to live. Here are 3 more personality characteristics: Inadequacy - this is a pattern you would see over time with a Narcissist:
- feels that other people try to make them feel embarrassed or shamed
- when others disagree with them, they believe that person is trying to show them that they're "wrong" or "inferior"
- They will not give an opinion or information unless they are absolutely convinced it is correct in every way. This way they can avoid appearing stupid
- They get great satisfaction when they can point out that other people are wrong or mis-informed
Arrogance - this is a pattern you would see over time with a Narcissist:
- They only hang around people they believe to be considered equal or higher status
- Disapproves of people who are uneducated & poor
- Looks at people who don't have as much as they do as "lazy" or says they "didn't try hard enough"
- Wants to be seen as superior in every way of life
- Decides to join groups because of the image it displays to others, not because they truly want to join the group
Unique and Special - this is a pattern you would see over time with a Narcissist:
- They get impatient when they have to wait in line (because they think they shouldn't have to)
- They bend or break rules they think are silly
- They cut in line because they are in a hurry
- Borrow things from people and don't return them promptly
- They expect to receive special treatment from others
If you start to notice any of these characteristics in someone you love or someone who is close to you, we encourage you to read Loving the Self-Absorbed by Nina W. Brown, ED.D, LPC, NCC. The above information was taken from the book, but the book also shares how to live with & love a person who can be selfish. Thank you for reading!
Written by: Tamara Wilhelm MA, LMHC
*Tamara enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, & couples counseling at Imagine Hope. We also specialize in family counseling, child & adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area, including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield & Fishers.