Communication is all around us. It can be verbal or non-verbal, and a part of every type of relationship from friendship to romantic relationship. Throw in good intentions and miscommunication and it'll end up in disaster. This week we want to help you with communication traps. These tips can be used for any type of relationship you encounter. When communicating:
5. Give information directly to someone, don't hint or filter it through a 3rd party.
6. Give the other person a chance to respond.
7. Give information caringly.
8. Feedback is not feedback when it's meant to hurt - then it's just an attack.
9. Don't nag or hound a person about their behavior unless they've told you they want your help.
10. Avoid being judgmental (watch saying "right" or "wrong").
11. Don't focus on "why" someone does what they do, just focus on what you see.
12. Talk about how you feel. That is real and genuine.
13. Be direct.
If you're seeing some areas you need some help in, focus on a few tips & hopefully you'll start recognizing some change in the near future. Thank you very much for reading. We have several tips still yet to come!
Written by: Tamara Wilhelm MA, LMHC
*Tamara enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, & couples counseling at Imagine Hope. We also specialize in family counseling, child & adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area, including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield & Fishers.