Teri, Tammy, and Natalie have listed many wonderful tips for better communication between parents and their children. Today we will expand on this to complete the four part series.
- Ask your child what they need from you. They might just want you to listen instead of always giving advice.
- Be yourself with them. They need to know you aren't perfect and that you learn from mistakes, too.
- Apologize to them when needed. They will respect you for it.
- Don't sweep things under the rug. If there is an issue, address it.
- Don't trick your child. If you already know the answer, why give your child the chance to lie? Confront the issue and let them share their side of the story.
- Easy on the teasing. It can impact their self-esteem.
- Don't set them up to fail.
- Teach them emotions are okay. Share yours with them too.
Joleen Watson, MS, NCC, is a therapist at Imagine Hope Counseling Group. She enjoys doing marriage counseling, relationship counseling, couples counseling, and individual counseling. Imagine Hope also specializes in family, child and adolescent counseling and serves Indianapolis area including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield, and Fishers.