Resolving conflict is a skill that everyone needs to work on, even if you aren't in a relationship. There are several things to remember when entering into a confrontation that is important in order for it to go well. This week Imagine Hope is sharing some guidelines to keep in mind when fighting fair. Remember conflict is going to happen in any relationship. There is no need to be scared of it as long as you do it well. When you do, it can actually bring you closer!
1. Accept the fact that conflict exists. Denial will only make the issue grow bigger until it gets addressed.
2. Try not to be angry at the same time about different issues. It will get confusing what you are really fighting about! Fight about one issue at a time.
3. Look at yourself and ask why you are really mad. It's important to discuss the real issue rather than focus on things on the surface.
4. Enter in the discussion with the intent to solve the problem. Blaming will breakdown any possibility of teamwork.
5. Stay and work through the problem. Don't run away or avoid.
Keep checking in this week for more guidelines. Conflict will happen anywhere- it's up to you to decide if you will help it go well or not!
Written by guest blogger Teri Claassen MSW, LCSW, LCAC
Teri Claassen MSW, LCSW, LCAC is a licensed therapist at Renewed Horizon Counseling. Teri does virtual therapy for residents of Indiana and Florida using videoconferencing technology. Teri enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, couples and relationship counseling. Teri also does family counseling and adolescent counseling. You can find Teri at renewedhorizon.com