What? Love TOO much? Is that possible?
Yes it is and it can be very damaging for someone when they do. Loving someone is a great thing, but when it crosses the line to a self-destructive place...you are loving too much.
Here's a few situations you might end up in when you love too much:
- You might smother people and cling in a relationship because you "need" them so much.
- You might be devastated when a relationship ends.
- You might try to control others because of needing so much from them and try to change them to meet your needs.
- You often love others more than yourself. This results with you sacrificing your own needs to make everyone else happy.
- You tend to be more insecure and struggle with self-worth and self-acceptance.
- You might find yourself being taken advantage of or even in abusive situations.
- You might tend to settle for negative and hurtful things from others.
- You might disregard and rationalize your feelings to avoid conflict with others.
- You might give more in a relationship than your partner.
As you can see from these examples, loving someone too much can end in personal pain.
If you can relate to any of these traits, keep checking in all week to learn what to do if you are loving too much. There is hope and ways to recover!
Written by guest blogger Teri Claassen MSW, LCSW, LCAC
Teri Claassen MSW, LCSW, LCAC is a licensed therapist at Renewed Horizon Counseling. Teri does virtual therapy for residents of Indiana and Florida using videoconferencing technology. Teri enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, couples and relationship counseling. Teri also does family counseling and adolescent counseling.