We all fall prey to bad communication from time to time. However, doing poor communication over and over can really lead to distance between relationships and family members. Try to work hard to stop these behaviors in your family: Don't:
- Yell, scream and so forth
- Use Sarcasm
- Go from topic to topic (you'll lose who you're talking to!)
- Bring up old issues, past behavior
- Mis-match verbal and non-verbal communication (for example saying "I love you" while pounding your fist angrily on the table)
- Keep feelings inside
- Scowl, or direct antagonistic facial expressions toward others
- Try to "mind read" or assume you know what other people think
We're not just going to leave you with the "don'ts", we're also going to let you know what you need to do in family communication too! Natalie and Joleen will go over the "Do's" and appropriate things to do in communication that build connection and teamwork. Thanks for reading!
Written by: Tamara Wilhelm MA, LMHC
*Tamara enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, & couples counseling at Imagine Hope. We also specialize in family counseling, child & adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area, including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield & Fishers.