This week as we explore conflict resolution tips, see if you can recognize strengths you already possess in this area, along with skills you need to sharpen a bit more. Here are a few more tips to make conflict more productive:
6. Eliminate cheap shots and "below the belt" comments. Conflict is to be respectful, using respectful words and phrases.
7. Avoid "rubbing it in" and the "I told you so's". The goal is NOT to win. The goal is to be a team.
8. Take the conflict slowly, one piece at a time. Most conflicts are not resolved in one sitting; they take a few meetings and lots of effort.
9. Avoid the bedroom! Try to use another room or move to another room if an argument breaks out in the bedroom. Your love life and sex life with be thankful.
10. Show and say "I Love you" often, especially when fighting. Even though you may be taking a time-out from an argument, you're not taking a time-out from the relationship.
11. Leave family member comparisons out of it. Saying, "You're just like your mom/dad" will only throw more fuel on the fire.
Remember, confict is a natural part of being human. Why not learn how to manage it effectively? Please keep reading as we have several more tips to cover!
Written by: Tamara Portee MA, LMHC, LCAC
*Tamara enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, & couples counseling at Imagine Hope. We also specialize in family counseling, child & adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area, including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield & Fishers.