How you feel about yourself is called self-esteem. Most teens struggle with a low self-esteem. It is really hard to feel good about yourself with so much pressure to be like everyone else. Here are some tips that will help you be you and have a more positive self-esteem.
- Take care of yourself
- Sometimes when you don’t feel good about yourself it is easy to not take care of yourself. This actually makes you feel worse. Taking care of your health with good nutrition and exercise will make you feel better. You don’t have to always be perfect with your nutrition. It’s ok to still eat things you enjoy but try to eat well most of the time. When exercising, do something you enjoy, not something you think you are suppose to do. Find a friend and take a walk. Go rollerblading, hiking, or just dance in the middle of your room to your favorite music. Just do something to be active.
- Hang around kids that help you feel good about yourself.
- If you spend time around kids that put you down or make you feel bad about yourself- guess what- you are going to feel bad about yourself!! Try to be around friends who are kind and want what’s best for you. That may limit you to a smaller group of friends but it is better to be in a smaller group than to be with a crowd of people who make you feel bad.
- Have positive self-talk.
- The way you talk to yourself inside your head and to other people is very important. When you constantly put yourself down, call yourself “stupid” or “ugly”, or when you tell yourself, “I can never do _______, you are going to feel that way and believe it. If you tell yourself “I may not be perfect but I like the way I look.” Or “It’s going to be hard to pass this test but I am going to try my best and maybe I can do it!” You will feel much better about yourself. It is just like hanging out with positive friends- the more you surround yourself with positive thoughts the better you will feel.
- Talk to other teens about how they feel about themselves.
- As teens we often put up a front so no one will know how we really feel. But if you talk to other teens you will find they probably feel the same insecurities you do. Even the Homecoming Queen and the quarterback on the football team struggle with how they feel about themselves! It is normal!
- Be YOU!
- It is hard to feel good about yourself when you are trying to be like everyone else. The world is a cool place because we are all different! Can you imagine if we were all alike? If you constantly try to be someone else you will not feel good about yourself because you are not being real. It is like trying to wear a pair of shoes that don’t fit- it is uncomfortable! So be you!
- Ask for help!
- If you feel your self-esteem is so low that it is causing you to feel depressed or anxious, ask for help. Talk to an adult or your guidance counselor at school. You may find that you need additional help. A professional counselor is trained to help you find ways to have a positive self-esteem. That will not only help now but as you become an adult and throughout life. You don’t have to figure this out on your own. We have all been a teen and know what it feels like to struggle with poor self-image.
If you feel depressed or anxious and would like to have a more positive self-esteem, talk with your parents or guidance counselor about giving us a call. Imagine Hope would love to help you find ways to feel better about yourself! We are conveniently located in Indianapolis and to surrounding areas such as Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield, and Zionsville. Call us at 569-0046 or check out our website at www.imaginehopecounseling.com.