This week we are learning about child abuse. There are many effects of child abuse, both when the child is young and when they are older. This is not an exhaustive list- children may have different or more affects than those listed. These are just some of the more common effects.
Effects as a child:
- Unexplained anxiety or depression ~
- Difficulty sleeping
- Problems in school
- Difficulty concentrating
- Withdrawn from friends or family
- Bed wetting
- Being overly worried about things
- Bruising, broken bones, or other physical ailments
- Complaints of physical problems with no real reason (tummy aches, headaches)
Effects as an adult:
- Issues with shame or feeling worthless. This could come out in various ways including defensiveness, blaming others for problems, and sensitivity to feedback just to name a few.
- Substance Abuse and/or various addictions (sexual, eating, gambling etc.)
- Sometimes unfortunately an abuser will abuse others if they don't get the help they need to overcome their own abuse.
- Self harming behaviors
- Eating Disorders
- Difficulty in relationships
- Problems with communication
- Struggles with intimacy (both emotional and sexual)
Again, this list is not exhaustive and does not include everyone who has been abused. People will have different effects from the abuse depending on the type of abuse, the person, and the age they were abused. This is just a starting point.
It's so important to remind you that if you know of anyone being abused to please get help for them. And if you have been abused and haven't received help, we highly recommend you see someone to discuss the effects it could be having on you.
Thank you for reading! Tomorrow Joleen will share risk factors for child abuse and resources.
Natalie Chandler, MA, LMHC LCAC is a therapist at Imagine Hope Counseling Group. Natalie enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, and couples counseling. We also specialize in family counseling, child, and adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield, and Zionsville