Today we will finish up with our tips for healthier communication in a family: Do:
- Use a neutral/natural tone of voice
- Say what you mean, be specific and straightforward
- Stay on one topic
- Focus on the here and now
- Match verbal and nonverbal communication (e.g., saying "I love you" while smiling)
- Express feelings to others appropriately
- Really listen to others' point of view, ask questions to make sure you understand
Thank you for joining us this week! Next week we will be discussing characteristics of a dysfunctional relationship... We hope you join us again!
Joleen Watson, MS, NCC, is a therapist at Imagine Hope Counseling Group. She enjoys doing marriage counseling, relationship counseling, couples counseling, and individual counseling. Imagine Hope also specializes in family, child and adolescent counseling and serves Indianapolis area including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield, and Fishers.