Here are some more tips Imagine Hope is offering parents to better connect with your children and teens:
- Ask open ended questions (questions that cannot be answered with a simple "yes" or "no").
- Even when you are busy, give them some undivided attention. It shows they are still a priority to you.
- Respect them. If you want them to respect you, you should do the same to them.
- Avoid name calling, put downs, and aggressive words. This can greatly damage their self-esteem and make them feel not good enough.
- Be a good role model. They learn from watching you. So be careful what you do, they might pick it up.
- Don't interrupt.
- Say "I love you" at all ages.
Stay tuned for more tips as the week continues!
Written by: Tamara Portee MA, LMHC, LCAC
*Tamara enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, & couples counseling at Imagine Hope. We also specialize in family counseling, child & adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area, including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield & Fishers.